Sunday, July 19, 2009

Changing Gears, Helping With RCIA

A course on "Deeper Participation in the Mass" is no longer my vehicle for the "Supervised Ministry Experience" required of me by the Kino Institute. Numerous reasons demand that I use participation in the RCIA program at my parish instead. I'll be helping with the lectionary reflections.

Obviously, I'll be most involved in helping students break open the Word in dialog, but I see every encounter as an opportunity to impart some practice or concept that will enable more-fruitful nourishment from the Word.

Concerning practices, I don't see how we can avoid talking about and practicing Lectio Divina, especially meditative and contemplative prayer. Concerning concepts, the list of concepts is rather long and interrelated. (There will be some effort involved in serializing them!)

I think there will be a common theme through all the concepts I propose to introduce: Incarnation. Jesus, the "Word made Flesh" is fully human and fully divine. Likewise, the Bible, the "Word made Words" is also fully human and fully divine. Catholicity demands that we keep humanity and divinity in intellectual tension. The moment we neglect the Bible's humanity we become fundamentalists. The moment we neglect the Bible's divinity, we become skeptics. In both cases, it seems more like a sin of omission rather than a sin of commission.

There is also a great deal of material for me to re-read. There is the abundantly useful The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church. There is also Dei Verbum, Divino Afflante Spiritu, the Catholic Encyclopedia articles on the various senses of scripture, and the the introductory essays from the NAB.

Let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment