Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Where am I going to find time to read the Qur'an?

A lot of forces are working together to pressure me into reading the Qur'an.

First, you've got Pastor Terry Jones at Dove World Outreach Center in Gainsville, FL, who's planning to burn copies of the Qur'an in just three days (on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks).

Second, a very large number of Americans seem to think we should not apply the the first amendment to the constitution in the case of a proposed Muslim community center three blocks from Ground Zero.

Third, there is the remarkably strange myfaithmyvoice.com project.

Fourth, there are a billion Muslims on the planet. As a human being, shouldn't I be somewhat interested in the religious beliefs shared by a billion other human beings? There seems to be some element of moral obligation here. At the very least, it's a requirement of "cultural literacy".

Fifth, after all of the extremely negative things I've read about this book and its Prophet, I really do have a moral obligation to check the source and give the other side a chance to speak for itself.

2 comments:

  1. okay, how long do you think it will take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know yet. It weighs in at under 400 pages with lots of space in the margins. I'll read for an hour or two, see how far I progress, and base my estimate on that.

    ReplyDelete